Last Updated on
With the mass Work-From-Home push as part of the COVID-19 pandemic, many people and families are struggling with different aspects of working remotely.
This page will list various security industry and family-related ‘remote’ STEM activities to participate in as well as other free offerings to help companies, individuals and families cope with their newfound way of working. Text in green signifies new additions.
Educational & Family-friendly STEM activities
Below are some free family-friendly STEM activities for keeping the kids entertained and educated while everyone is home.
- Association of Computing Machinery (ACM) – Through June 30 – Open Access to ACM Digital Library During Coronavirus Pandemic: We believe that ACM can help support research, discovery and learning during this time of crisis by opening the ACM Digital Library to all. For the next three months, there will be no fees assessed for accessing or downloading work published by ACM. We hope this will help researchers, practitioners and students maintain access to our publications as well as increasing visibility and awareness of ACM’s journals, proceedings and magazines.
- Alliance4Girls – Girl*-Powered Activities for Parents, Caregivers & Educators: With a membership of 100+ organizations and professionals who work day in and day out to support girls and gender-expansive youth, Alliance for Girls’ community is teeming with amazing gender-responsive programs and curricula, many of which are being made available virtually for free to girls, their families and educators.
- American Association of Chemistry Teachers – Through March 31 – Free chemistry-related teaching resources: In response to the growing need to teach chemistry remotely, selected AACT resources are unlocked and freely available to the chemistry community through March 31. These resources include activities, animations, projects, simulations, and videos for middle school, high school, and Advanced Placement/general chemistry.
- Audible – Free Audible Stories for school-aged children: For as long as schools are closed, we’re open. Starting today, kids everywhere can instantly stream an incredible collection of stories, including titles across six different languages, that will help them continue dreaming, learning, and just being kids.
- AWS Educate – Your Cloud Journey Starts Here: During this unprecedented time of temporary and sustained school closings, we have developed a set of resources to help you and your teams: If you’re a student, you can benefit with no-cost, at-home learning opportunities through AWS Educate Cloud Career Pathways and specialty badges. If you’re an educator and want to offer online learning modules on cloud computing to your students, virtual cloud labs to your faculty, or get AWS Promotional Credit to build on AWS, join AWS Educate at no cost to access these resources.
- Carnegie Mellon University – Free CMU Computer Science class for High Schoolers: A novel, world-class, online, interactive high school computer science curriculum that is entirely free.
- Codecademy – Codecademy Pro for free to high school and college students: Codecademy teaches millions of learners web development, mobile development, and data science skills. In the wake of school closures due to COVID-19, we’re offering 10,000 scholarships to Codecademy Pro for free to high school and college students across the world for the rest of the school year.
- KidsActivities.com – Entire List of Education Companies Offering Free Subscriptions Due to School Closings: With schools closing across the nation, parents and educators are in bit of a panic as they try to figure out how kids can learn and obtain their education from home. If this sounds like you, stop stressing. This is going to be super helpful!
- The Internet Archive – Free use of National Emergency Library through June 30: To address our unprecedented global and immediate need for access to reading and research materials, as of today, March 24, 2020, the Internet Archive will suspend waitlists for the 1.4 million (and growing) books in our lending library by creating a National Emergency Library to serve the nation’s displaced learners. This suspension will run through June 30, 2020, or the end of the US national emergency, whichever is later.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) – Free use of all University courses: MIT has opened up its entire library of courseware for free to anyone. This is not related to the COVID-19 situation, but rather a decision made by the University last year.
- MYSTERYscience.com – Free, easy science for remote learning: To help educators during this time of coronavirus, we have pulled our most popular science lessons and are offering them for anyone to use for free. Mystery Science is the creator of the most popular science lessons in U.S. schools. We’ve curated this starter set of science lessons that you can use remotely or share with parents.
- National Football League (NFL) – Free digital education and wellness resources: The NFL and several of its charitable partners have made digital education and wellness resources available for free for teachers, parents and students across the country to utilize during this unprecedented time when alternate forms of learning are needed.
- Prevalent – March 26, 2020 – Friends & Family Webinar: How to Become a Human Calculator® with Scott Flansburg: During the presentation, Scott will demonstrate his remarkable ability to perform rapid mathematical calculations with amazing speed and accuracy. He’ll also share mental math shortcuts that will change the way you and your family see numbers.
- Scholastic – ongoing – Scholastic Learn At Home: Even when schools are closed, you can keep the learning going with these special cross-curricular journeys. Every day includes four separate learning experiences, each built around a thrilling, meaningful story or video. Kids can do them on their own, with their families, or with their teachers.
- The Space Gal – Ongoing – Emily Calandrelli, a.k.a. The Space Gal, is an MIT engineering grad (Aeronautics and Astronautics) and an Emmy-nominated TV host. Every day, she posts cool science experiments that you can do with household supplies.
- STEMActivitiesForKids.com – Free STEM Resources for Distance Learning: Our goal is to provide STEM resources, ideas, and encouragement to teachers, parents, and students. Our team is made up of educators, parents, engineers, and lifelong learners; our common bond is that we are all STEM enthusiasts.
- STEMCrew.org – Free STEM courses: Free elementary school distance learning STEM classes.
Free Security-centric Vendor Solutions
Below are some free cyber/information security offerings from industry vendors. They range from free temporary product use to free training webinars, all geared towards helping security teams deal with the sudden uptick in the remote workforce.
This is simply a list of offers that have been shared with me. There is no affiliation to vendors or products listed below. Use your best judgment.
- AppGuard – Free 90-day use of AppGuard SOLO: We are offering free AppGuard Solo licenses for the next 90 days to protect your enterprise from all forms of attacks.
- Addigy – Free 60-day use of Apple Mobile Device Management (MDM): The COVID-19 outbreak has forced schools and companies to work from home, and we want to help. Our solution lets you easily deploy software, create system configurations, and perform full audits in minutes. If you’ve found yourself in uncharted waters, we’ve got your back. No server setup. No training cost. No commitment. 100% Risk-Free for 60-days.
- Bitdefender – Bitdefender offers up to 12 months of FREE enterprise-grade security for ALL healthcare organizations: Bitdefender helps healthcare businesses in their fight against Coronavirus. Bitdefender helps healthcare providers to work at full capacity on delivering care during the Coronavirus pandemic, without worrying about falling victim to the ruthless, opportunistic attacks revolving around this crisis.
- Cisco – Through July 1 – Free use of Cisco Duo, Umbrella, AnyConnect: Helping employees, customers and partners in a time of need is one of Cisco’s core values. Right now, COVID-19 is forcing many people around the world to work remotely. This is putting a sudden strain on both IT and security teams who are being tasked with providing support for an unprecedented number of offsite workers and their devices. Recently, Cisco Webex expanded its free offerings to allow employees to stay connected to their teams and continue their business operations.
- PC Matic – Through June 30 – Free PC Matic Pro Endpoint Protection: With remote workstations becoming increasingly prevalent due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it is critical businesses ensure the security of their networks by properly protecting devices being used by remote employees. This is why PC Matic is offering free cybersecurity protection and remote management tools until June 30, 2020.
- SentinelOne – Through May 15 – Free SentinelOne Platform Access: As the world battles COVID-19, enterprises are coping with immediate work-from-home needs and the challenges of protection beyond the network perimeter. From Monday, March 16th through Friday, May 15th, SentinelOne CORE and rapid deployment services are offered free of charge.
- GreatHorn Email Security – Free 60-day use of the GreatHorn O365/G-Suite anti-phishing platform: Get full access to the GreatHorn Email Security platform for the next 60 days, including advanced analysis that identifies even the most sophisticated threats, in-the-moment warnings to educate employees and robust search and remediation to reduce exposure time.
- 1Password – Free for 6 months – 1Password for Business: We’re removing the 30-day trial period on 1Password Business so companies can start keeping their teams secure without getting finance involved.
- Cloudflare – Free 90-day use of Cloudflare Access for small businesses: Cloudflare protects and accelerates more than 26 million Internet properties today. Cloudflare for Teams helps some of the world’s largest organizations stay productive from any location. We’re making those enterprise-grade features available to small businesses at no cost.
- Okta – Free for 6 months – Okta Single Sign-on and Multi-factor Authentication: We believe any organization that could benefit from leveraging the Okta Identity Cloud for remote work to keep their workforces productive during the crisis should be able to do so at no cost. To that end, we are offering core Okta services for free to all new customers
- Ping – Free for 6 months – Free cloud single sign-on (SSO) and multi-factor authentication (MFA): People around the world are being encouraged or required to work from home to stay healthy and do their part to slow the spread of COVID-19. We want to do our part to help. We’re offering free cloud single sign-on (SSO) and multi-factor authentication (MFA)*. This way, everyone can conveniently access all your IT resources remotely to keep business running.
- Safe-T – Free remote access services to corporate resources to support organizations affected by the worldwide outbreak: Safe-T will be offering its Secure Application Access solution free-of-charge to affected organization for a period of three months. To start using the solution, organizations simply need to deploy a lightweight server on their premises and connect it to their relevant services and to Safe-T’s secure access cloud. Safe-T also invites registered Safe-T solutions resellers to inform their customers who may benefit from this offer.
- EC-Council – Free 30-day all-access pass to CodeRed Training: To Help Our Community During The Covid-19 Pandemic, We Are Offering Access To EC-Council’s Subscription Platform, CodeRed, Which Hosts Over 1500+ High Quality Cyber Security Videos, Over 25+ Socially Curated Cyber Security Courses From Over 15+ Leading Global Industry Experts – An All-Access 30 Days Pass
- Elastic– Free and open on-demand training: We’re releasing free and open on-demand courses over the next few weeks. We know social distancing isn’t fun, but it can be a great opportunity to learn new things. So while other people are making a second pass through their Netflix queue, you can build your Elastic Stack, observability, and security skills and come out the other side an expert.
- GTS – Free resources -Stay Secure as a Remote Worker: The aim is to provide remote workers with additional knowledge to minimise the risks arising from their sudden change in circumstances, with the course designed to raise awareness and educate people on safer ways to work from home. Featuring interactive quizzes, advice videos and questionnaires, the open educational platform can be accessed without charge
- SANS – Free Security Awareness Work-from-Home Deployment Kit: At SANS Security Awareness, we want to do whatever we can to ensure companies can train and secure their remote workforce. These resources and training materials are a combination of both our public resources and paid training materials which we are releasing for free. We understand that this is a unique situation and we want to do everything we can to help.
- Security Innovation – CyberSecurity Community Site: Experience the power of cyber ranges and community to make security approachable. We offer free training and other resources as well as access to InstaFriends CMD+CTRL Cyber Range to anyone who wants to learn cybersecurity skills in a fun, collaborative environment. Get Inspired. Get Smarter. Get Motivated. Beginner to expert, all are welcome — just bring your passion.
- Udacity – FREE ACCESS for one month: Udacity offers free access for everyone for a month including their nanodegrees. Learn higher-paying, employable skills at home.
Remote Workforce Communications
- Atlassian – Free use (unlimited time based on org size): Free collaboration tools to kickstart remote teamwork. Open, seamless communication is crucial to a team’s success. That’s why every product we make (and use) fosters connections between teammates – even if they’re cities, countries, or continents apart.
- BitDam– Free for 90 days – BitDam for MS Teams: Working remotely with Microsoft Teams? BitDam can protect your business. Cyberattackers take advantage of the Coronavirus crisis. You should take action to protect your organization! Proactively protect your employees from advanced threats when working from home throughout the Coronavirus outbreak. BitDam is here to help, securing your Microsoft Teams for free for 3 months.
- BOX – Free for 90 days – Box Business: Box is making its enterprise version available to small and medium-sized businesses for free and existing customers can add users for 30-days free of charge.
- Idaptive – Free through Oct 31 – Free 6-month use of Idaptive Single sign-on and MFA: Idaptive is offering free, no-obligation use of our SSO and MFA products for six months.* Any company, regardless of the size, the number of employees, or deployed apps, can leverage our platform for secure and convenient access to their applications and endpoints.
- Igloo – Free through July 6 – Igloo Digital workplace and BCP: When a crisis hits, companies need to rely upon proven tools to effectively communicate and collaborate across teams and locations. This is where Igloo Software’s Free Business Continuity Bundle can help. As a leading provider of digital workplace solutions, Igloo is uniquely positioned to offer your organization a secure, central hub to plan and execute effective and timely communications to your workforce – and keep business moving.
- Intermedia – Free through December 31 – Free AnyMeeting Video Conferencing: In light of the COVID-19 pandemic that is affecting communities and businesses worldwide, we at Intermedia are committed to decreasing the risk and prioritizing the well-being of our community of stakeholders. To help businesses and organizations that need to support remote workers with effective communications and productivity tools, Intermedia is now offering our AnyMeeting® video conferencing and webinar service at no cost through December 31, 2020.
- Qualtrics – Free – Remote Work Pulse: The ongoing development of Coronavirus (COVID-19) is forever changing the way we work. Individuals, teams, and entire companies are choosing to work remotely and organizations are scrambling to adjust. Qualtrics Remote Work Pulse helps you understand if your organization is prepared for a remote workforce, and if your employees have what they need to succeed in this new environment.
- Trello – Trello Business Class for free for one year: We’re offering teachers worldwide a free year of Trello Business Class. Plan coursework, collaborate with faculty, and keep your classroom organized with the full power of Trello.
- Zoho – Remotely will remain free till July 1, 2020: Zoho Remotely will enable you to take your work remote by offering a complete suite of web and mobile apps that will help you communicate, collaborate and be productive.
Copyright © 2002-2020 John Masserini. All rights reserved.